A young boy who was stuffed into a suitcase died of dehydration, police believe.
The child, who has not been identified, did not appear to have suffered any significant traumatic injuries after being found in rural Indiana last month.
The boy was black, aged between five and eight years old, was 4ft tall and slim with a short haircut.
He is believed to have died a week before he was found on April 16 and was not likely to have been alive when he was put in the suitcase.
An autopsy revealed he suffered from an electrolyte imbalance, likely caused by viral gastroenteritis.
Police said: ‘Detectives also stated they have no evidence which leads them to believe the child was alive when placed into the suitcase, and that the child was clothed and clean.’
The suitcase containing the boy’s body was found by a mushroom picker in a heavily wooded area.
After making the discovery, the man immediately called 911 to report the child’s body to police.
He was found stuffed inside a hard-shell suitcase with a ‘distinctive Las Vegas design on its front and back’.
Investigators are not ruling out the possibility that the child could be from out of state or even out of the country.
Police said: ‘Investigators continue to utilize a variety of investigative techniques and have worked with several outside agencies during this investigation.
‘Although numerous tips have been called into the nationwide tip line, detectives have not been able to identify the boy. Investigators are not ruling out the possibility that the child could be from out of state or even out of the country.’
Do you find OkayWap useful? Click here to give us five stars rating!