Brooklyn subway shooter Frank James pleads not guilty, says he’s doing ‘pretty good’

Frank James, 62, reportedly told the judge on Friday that he was doing ‘pretty good’ (Pictures: AP; Getty)

The man accused of opening fire on a crowded Brooklyn subway last month told a judge on Friday he was doing ‘pretty good’ and pleaded not guilty to charges related to the attack.

Frank James, 62, denied that he took part in the early morning attack, which inured 23 commuters in Brooklyn’s Sunset Park subway station.

James was arraigned before a federal grand jury on charges that include one count of committing or attempting to commit an act of terrorism or other violence against a mass transportation system, and one count of discharging a firearm during a crime of violence. The first of the charges carries a maximum life sentence.

He plead not guilty to both charges.

When asked by Judge William Kuntz how he was doing, James replied, ‘Pretty good.’ The judge also asked him about his education history and ability to stand trial.

The morning of April 12, James allegedly boarded the Manhattan-bound N train at Kings Highway, and when the train pulled into the 36th Street station just before 8.30am he put on a gas mask, opened smoke canisters and fired 33 shots at passengers.

Ten people sustained gunshot wounds and at least 23 were injured. No one died in the attack.

Leading up to the attack, James had shared videos to YouTube of himself ranting about racism and violence in America, as well as his experience receiving mental health care in New York City. In one video he criticized New York City Mayor Eric Adams’ policies on homelessness, public safety and subway safety.

Many of his videos feature him ranting and using hateful language. In a video days before the attack he said he experienced the desire to kill people, but didn’t want to go to jail.

The federal charges against James are in addition to prior counts filed by the Southern District of New York. He will be tried on those charges separately.

A motive for the attack remains unclear.

James will remain behind bars in New York City ahead of his next court appearance, which is set for June 25.

 .

For more stories like this, .

ADVERTISEMENT

Do you find OkayWap useful? Click here to give us five stars rating!

Join the Discussion

No one has commented yet. Be the first!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.