Man dies from eating ‘one in a billion’ bad oyster

Two people have died from eating oysters in Florida so far this month (Credits: Getty Images)

A man ate a bad oyster that was described as being ‘one in a billion’ and died.

The man was dining at Rustic Inn Crabhouse in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, when he consumed the oyster that gave him a bacterial infection. He fell ill with Vibrio, according to the .

‘He had that one in a billion that was bad,’ Gary Oreal reportedly said. ‘I feel horrible.’

It was the first time such a tragedy has happened to any guest at the restaurant, Oreal said.

‘Over the course of 60 years, we have served a couple billion oysters and we never had anyone get sick like this guy did,’ he said.

Oreal said that the state Department of Health inspected the kitchen after the incident and that it passed ‘with flying colors’. He cast out a warning about eating oysters – but said that it won’t stop many shellfish fans from consuming them.

‘Oysters are tip of the mountain for dangerous foods to eat,’ he said. ‘I have eaten them my entire life, and will continue. But you are putting yourself at risk when you do it.’

The man apparently worked at the restaurant years ago. 

He has been identified as Roger ‘Rocky’ Pinckney and tested positive for oxycodone, opiates and cannabis, according to the Broward County Medical Examiner. Vibrio was also found in his blood, according to .

Pinckney is the second person in Florida to die from eating a raw oyster this month.

Rodney Jackson is one of two people to die from oysters in August in Florida (Picture: Studer Community Institute)

The Studer Community Institute’s director of business engagement, Rodney Jackson, got Vibrio from eating oysters he purchased from Maria’s Fresh Seafood Market, according to the . He died on August 9.

Oysters eaten by the Jackson and the unidentified man were both sourced from Louisiana, the reported.

Infections from Vibriosis typically happen in hot weather, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)’s website states. The infection usually causes vomiting and diarrhea, rather than more serious health issues. However, Vibrosis cases can occur in any weather, according to the CDC.

‘An oyster that contains harmful bacteria doesn’t look, smell or even taste different from any other oyster,’ states the .

 .

ADVERTISEMENT

Do you find OkayWap useful? Click here to give us five stars rating!

Join the Discussion

No one has commented yet. Be the first!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.